Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Pearly and Gray, Art at the Pond

"Art is not a thing. It is a way." -Elbert Hubbard


We tried out those big inflatable balls that you sit on. They are good for your posture and balance, better than a chair, you know. So, as I am trying to integrate my art studio into the rest if the house, that is, finding room to put all this junk, er, art supplies, (see 'a moving story') and those balls just keep getting in the way! 



Honestly, let's not kid ourselves, we were not using them. So, in a fit of frustration, I toss them out the door! I watch them roll down the hill toward the pond, and suddenly I realize, yes! So I give each a kick, and splash! Pond pearls! My greatest work of art is born. For this week... 


Oh they are so beautiful! All day they drift about upon the pond. In a way, the pond pearls are an artificial element. As such they would be out of place. But it works. I think that is because they are beautiful spherical forms, even like the moon.


Their kinetic aspect is what gives this piece its magic. I wish I had the bandwidth to set up a web cam for you to see it. It is somewhat like the floating balls that we use to measure the level of liquids in various contraptions, but instead they show the direction the wind is blowing on the pond. 


They drift, bump, wander, scurry, interact, and meander. Rings of waves emanate when they collide with each other or the bank. Their animated movements are so natural that they almost seem to be alive, with personalities.


The birds accept them after a couple of days. How long will they last, before they blow away, deflate, get broken? Who knows. But I like them so much that I might replace them if they do!


No comments:

Post a Comment