Saturday, March 21, 2015

Art Superpowers and the Art of Choosing


"The moment you cheat for the sake of beauty, you know you're an artist." -David Hockney


I hesitate to tell you this, but I have acquired art superpowers. In the old way if thinking, I should not tell you how I got them. It is my trade secret. But I'm changing now, releasing those obsolete notions of scarcity, and stepping into the sharing paradigm.  I just cannot bear to keep this joy to myself anymore. 


This is the day of everyone is, wants to be, or soon will be, an artist. The power to paint like we see was released with the advent of the camera. Now the power to do this, and then continue to change the look of the picture, in a second, is now in the hands of ipad users. And then scribble on it, tint, add a picture, type a poem on it, in pink, vortex it, then print it out on canvas, or a billboard or a bus...


Just as the power to make music with all of the tools in a music studio is now in the hands of anyone with a computer, now the visual artist has tools, to do in the blink of an eye, what took hours before this day of computers in every hand.


At this point, my choices at every turn are so expansive and dazzling, as I hop from app to app, as to be quite infinite! So now the real work of art has truly shifted. The new paradigm is the art of choosing:



Which of the beautiful color schemes that flashes before my eyes with a tap of the finger, do I like best? Do I not like that last stoke of the brush? Well, undo!! Maybe I would like to just plop another painting into the middle of this one! Good! Oh, erase that part, make this bigger...multiply this to a dozen more...


Not sure which version I like best? Save 'em all. Undo ten steps, go in a different direction, then compare. Send to three artist friends, which one do they like? Maybe they'll change it and send it back. If I don't like their changes, I still have my other six versions....and so it goes.


People, this is a new world! A joyful experience! And even if you think you never want to go be a gallery artist, you can explore art with infinite virtual paper, canvas, and paint, (with no mess!)  So there's no cause to worry that you, a person who maybe has not yet been told you 'have talent', are wasting time or supplies. Risk free finger painting for your inner artist!  Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment