Monday, January 26, 2015

Deep Thinking



"Make an empty space in any part of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it"- Dee Hock


I do not think boredom is required for clear thinking and creativity, as I heard today. But they might be on to something. Boredom is now a thing of the past, in this new era of connectedness. Stimulation is always available, and almost everyone now has a pocket magic box.


I have witnessed in my own life with electronic devices, compared to before electronic devices, the pace and depth of my attention, and so my thinking, has changed.


In fact some people have had to start putting limits on their cell phone time. They go to special camps, go on fasts and challenges to put the phone down for a while. (Getting bored stirs creativity?)


Going out in nature seems to help me get un bedazzled. Here, in nature's screen display, are infinitely more pixels. I wonder about the ratio between fast, like the instant gratification offered by my little glowing box, and deep, like a beautiful, fully formed, thought process. I wonder if one door into meditation is some sort of self hypnotic boredom that one rises out of as the dust settles.


I really love and appreciate what these devices, that are so new to me, can do. When I hold one in my hand, I feel as if I am holding a more wonderful and precious jewel than ever any human held before this time in history.


 And but also this makes me need more than ever to get out, walk around, and commune with real stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment