Monday, April 13, 2015

Fox Tales, Cattails, and the Pond Bouncers


"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful".  e.e. cummings


It has been a couple of months since the big party times for the frogs down at the pond. All of the cattails I transplanted have dried up and died. The pond balls, Pearly and Grey, still wander upon the surface, acting as aqueous weathervanes and generally creating a fascinating, constantly moving show. 


They interact with one another, bouncing together and apart, making ripple patterns.  If I kick one, or give it a shove, it makes a ripple in front as it skates over the water. But curiously, they do not cause a wake when the wind moves them, even when they race rapidly across. Is it because they are moving in harmony with the wind? But when they hit the side, circles radiate out on the sky mirror.


The pond balls seem natural, almost alive. Our deer are quite used to them now, but so far they make ducks a little nervous. I wonder what the visiting ducks are finding to eat as they stay for hours and hours, diving and dining. Bugs and tadpoles?? Uh oh. I go check. There are a few tadpoles left...but maybe Pearly and Grey are acting as pondish scarecrows, giving a little protection to the tadpoles. I make a mental note to find some rocks for tadpoles to hide under. 


One morning I look out and a new creature is checking out the pond, a gray fox! It's only the second time I have ever seen one. At first glance, I think I'm seeing a cat, until I notice the pointy snout! This dainty beauty weighs only 7-11 pounds, and is the only member of the dog family who can climb trees. I found a picture of one that looks just like it.


And then come the most beautiful birds I have ever seen visit the pond, wood ducks! Wood ducks favor little ponds in the woods. They tentatively clamber in, but here come Pearly and Grey, so they skitter back out. They stand together, staring at the pond balls suspiciously.  This goes on a few more times. Again, here are pictures that look just like the ones at my pond:



No comments:

Post a Comment