Sunday, May 3, 2015

Basil Pesto


"Holy Basil is a great longevity super herb, it's got a female energy, 

it's considered a beauty food."-David Wolfe


Mothership Kitchen Pesto:

One of my favorite eating times of the year is when the basil grows. This fragrant delicious traditional medicinal cooling mint loves the sunny hot days. I also partner the basil in equal handfuls with the leaves of parsley, another highly respectable traditional plant medicine food. 


And plenty of fresh garlic to taste, need I say more? Fresh raw garlic is so awesome. The key to the garlic breath problem is simple: make sure everyone gets some pesto!


My favorite recipe uses a lot of walnuts too, a great tree plant food with good fats for humans. I always soak and usually dehydrate the walnuts ahead of time. That way I can eat more walnuts! The process removes growth inhibiting compounds in the nuts which taste bitter and not good to eat too much of. (Nuts are the best fat! I'm nuts about nuts.)


So you grind, blend, or food process:


A bunch of basil

A bunch of parsley

A huge heap of walnuts, soaked or soaked & dehydrated

Garlic, fresh ground, to taste

Half to a whole lemon, juiced

Olive oil, not too much, added a spoonful at a time

Tamari or your favorite salt or salty condiment, to taste


Serve over noodles or cooked grains. (Serving suggestion: sprinkle a little nutritional yeast on the noodles too.) I have found a wonderful kind of flourless noodle made from multiple organic whole grains and beans that are sprouted to make the noodles. So I slip a few of those under my pesto. Just to have some excuse to eat a big pile of yummy pesto!


(Put a lemon slice on top and your leftovers will stay fresh in the fridge)


No comments:

Post a Comment