Friday, November 8, 2019

Apples


"An apple a day keeps anyone away, if you throw it hard enough." ~ Stephen Colbert

I love the apple. I’m not the only one.

"Surely the apple is the noblest of fruits." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Right now I’m thinking about apples because our trees are heavy with them, our first bumper crop since planting them.

Sometimes I resent the fact that my Apple iPad is always correcting me when I write the word apple, changing it to Apple. I mean, I do love my iPad, but there have been apples around since long before corporations. I do not think of computers when I say apple. 

John Lennon of the Beatles met his sweetie, Yoko, at her art exhibit which consisted of a simple, actual apple on a pedestal. He bought it. He named his record company Apple.

"Comfort me with apples, for I am sick of love." ~ Solomon

Deep in Asia, in the Tian Shan mountain range of what is now called now Kazakhstan, grows the wild native apple forest. There is a town there called Alma-Ata. Alma-Ata means “father of apples.” It is believed that all of the apples in the world originated from here, spread first by animals, then the humans. 

We don’t know if the fruit in the human origin story, Genesis, in the Bible, was an apple, but it is generally depicted as one.


What I love the most about apples is their shape and geometry. It seems to reflect the primal shape of the universe.
I often draw them, sometimes with shape lines inside and out.












Also, there is pie..
This one is made by rolling out the pie dough and placing apple slices in the middle, then pouring blended spiced steamed apple sauce over it, folding over the sides of the dough, and topping with chopped pecans. Mmmmm

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." ~ Carl Sagan

("An apple is an excellent thing -- until you have tried a peach." ~ George du Maurier)

No comments:

Post a Comment