Sunday, September 16, 2018

Dark Colors

Darkness is to space what silence is to sound; i.e., the interval. – Marshall McLuhan

Bizarrely enough, the smart monkeys of Earth are obsessed with wrapping colorful and non colorful cloth around their bodies and striding around in display rituals. We just love designing and acquiring new pieces of said cloth, taking pictures of it, and us in it, and endlessly parading our clinging cloth pieces.

I write about colors and dyeing in the spring. I am in a soft but clear pastel and cheery mood then, full of hope for harmony and gentleness.

I have experienced a backlash.

I had boxed up my murky colored clothes; now I crack them open again. 

I can’t seem to get enough mucky drabs; I pull out black, dull green, navy and browns. Why, what?

Change of season? Do we really reflect nature by liking flower colors in spring, and preferring dry leaf colors in fall? Do we dance out the colors around us wrapped in flags of the seasons’ colors?



Or is something darker at play? 

Am I depressed about the times we live in, the trends, retrenchments, the dark feelings suddenly coming out from under the rocks?

Like the phenomenon of long skirts in hard times and short skirts in good times, I think we fly happy colorful flags when we feel safe to do so. Am I diving under cover of camo in these times of backlash?

Just wondering.


“Flowers grow out of dark moments.” – Corita Kent
“I used to be afraid until I learned that I am a light and the dark is afraid of me.” -Eph 5:8





No comments:

Post a Comment