Monday, September 7, 2015

The Birds and the Bees and also the Fish

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed." -Buddha


Today I was completely astonished to peer into the pond and see a happy goldfish just hanging still in the water, in the sun. But this goldfish was as long as my finger only, not as long as my hand, like the several fish I had just released in the pond. Small fry!

I have grand-fish! Who knew? Not me, that goldfish were so quick to reproduce? Drop three or four into a nice warm pond, a heat spell in this case, they can spawn right away, a few days later, maybe only two days, and you have hundreds of small fry.

Give those babies a big fat bloom of algal shelter, it serves as a hiding place, and then even, yes, dinner for the small fry too! But they do this after first eating all the unfertilized eggs.

Who knew? Not me, I did not know that once the eggs hatch, the other goldfish not only do not care for the babies, they will eat them if they can find them! So it's good to have a place to hide, because a goldfish is on its own from day one.

Later I see the little school swimming around, about a dozen little mostly silver, with a few orange fishies!

No comments:

Post a Comment